About the Fund
The Gordon and Betty Moore Fund
The Honorable Shirley M. Hufstedler Fund for Enhanced Quality of Student Life
Two Presidential Funds have been established as an endowment “to increase the quality of undergraduate and graduate student life at the California Institute of Technology.” These Funds have been given by Gordon and Betty Moore, and by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation in tribute to The Honorable Shirley M. Hufstedler.
An advisory committee will review proposals and make recommendations to the President concerning which proposals to fund and in what amounts. The committee will be comprised of: three graduate students (two voting members/one alternate) appointed by the Graduate Student Council (GSC); three members of the faculty/staff (two voting members/one alternate) appointed by Student Affairs, three undergraduates (two voting members/one alternate) appointed by the Associated Students of the California Institute of Technology (ASCIT) and the Interhouse Committee (IHC); the Senior Director for Student Activities and Programs who serves in an ex officio, non-voting capacity; and, the Vice President for Student Affairs.
The chair will be the Vice President for Student Affairs. The chair will transmit the committee's recommendations to the President.
The committee will determine its procedures, and it will select a secretary and webmaster. The secretary will create and maintain a record of the committee's recommendations, and the webmaster will maintain a web site with a proposal form and other information concerning the Funds.
An administrator responsible for Institute finances will maintain the accounts for the Fund. The administrator will report to the committee periodically.
Proposals will have quarterly application deadlines. The committee will meet at least once a term to discuss proposals and to make recommendations of awards.
Proposals will follow a general format similar to the fund request forms for ASCIT, the GSC, and Student Affairs, including the following elements:
- Detailed budget
- A plan for covering ongoing costs pertaining to some proposals, such as the maintenance of facilities, vehicles, and other equipment, salaries of personnel, insurance, etc. Generally, the committee must be convinced that these costs can be reliably borne by entities other than the Moore-Hufstedler Fund.
- Other sources of funding. The committee will take into account other sources of funding available for a project, and it will refer applicants to other sources when appropriate.
- Contact information
- Club information (if request is from a club)
- Proposals should demonstrate a significant effort to “increase the quality of student life” and promote interaction. Collaboration between students, faculty and staff should be encouraged and the results of these efforts should be included in the proposal.
- Equipment purchased with the Moore-Hufstedler Funds is Caltech property and must be treated as such by users/borrowers.
- The Committee will assist applicants with meritorious proposals who still need the endorsement of parties on campus who may be affected by their proposals.
- Awards generally will not be recommended to cover items that are typically funded from Caltech's administrative or division budgets.
- All awards must be in accordance with Caltech regulations and in accordance with Caltech's non-profit status.
- Successful applicants will be required to submit a detailed financial report/review and impact statement by a certain deadline.
- The committee will work with the President and the Development Office to report periodically to the donors and to The Honorable Shirley M. Hufstedler on the use of the Funds.
- The committee will perform an annual review of all funded proposals as well as its internal operations to determine if the intended goals of the Funds are being met.
Some examples of activities/events/services that might be appropriate for a recommendation of funding are:
- Ethernet for Graduate Student Housing
- Wireless access for campus
- Distinguished speaker series
- Art exhibit
- Bus Rental